Mild spoiler warnings ahead:
Some ruminations on the first hours of “24.”
- It’s nice to see that the magical wormhole that enables characters to drive swiftly through congested major cities still is up and running. Kudos to Kim Bauer and her man in particular for making it from the UN to the lower West Side in mere minutes. I would also appreciate the cast members’ inside tips on traveling between Manhattan to Queens in five minutes or less. And just where is this West 21st Street in the borough of Queens?
- For seven seasons we pondered how exactly Kim Bauer was the fruit of Jack Bauer’s loins. How can someone so ruthless and efficient produce offspring that dumb? Well, it looks like we’ve found the answer. We’ve already had about five “just walk away, Jack” moments, and I have a feeling we’re in for a lot more. Of course knowing Jack’s luck he’d just get stuck in a delay at LaGuardia anyway, which would also provide some potential amusement.
- I’m still curious about this Islamic Republic of Completely Madeupistan. Judging from the fact that the President is an Indian actor, I’m guessing it has to logically be something resembling Pakistan. And yet the President’s name seems to indicate that it is an Arabic country. Eh, stupid Americans must not be able to distinguish between brown people. Speaking of which, it’s fascinating that Anil Kapoor went from portraying a gameshow host to the leader of an Islamic Nation, and yet his character’s respective temperament improved.
Spoiler within a spoiler alert:
If Kapoor’s IMDB page is an indication, President Hassan lives through the day.
- Good to see Starbuck back on her feet again. Of course now she’s gone from having no clue about her origins to trying to run away from them. I am impressed with her ability to completely circumvent the Federal background vetting process.
- Freddie Prinze Jr? Really?
- So what are the odds that this year’s bumbling incompetent in charge of CTU winds up being a relative hero good guy by the end of the season?
- Speaking of CTU, no moles yet, which has to be a record.
- So as Renee was putting the Russian guy’s hand in that vice, my first thought was, “Oh no she’s not.” Then for a second I said, “Nah, she’s not.” And then I thought, “Oh my God she is.” Dude, when you freak Jack Bauer out, you have just entered a very dark place as a human being. It would be like Lord Palpatine suddenly getting concerned that Vader had taken this dark side thing a bit too far.
- It was a sort of humdrum first three hours and 59 minutes, then things got interesting. Maybe it’s best that they are conserving the “HOLY SHIT!” moments for now.